Travel Taiwan with these essential information!
In 1 page here, grab important travel information for you foreign visitors touring Taiwan.
You can find further info you may need from the official websites given.
In any of these topics where I have written more fun Taiwan tour tips, you will also find them linked here for you.
Taiwan climate and weather
Taiwan is warm all year round.
Annual average temperature is around 22 degrees Celsius; lowest temperature around 12 – 17 degrees Celsius.
• Spring is around March to May. Weather is cold to rainy.
• Summer is from June to August. Typhoons are common in this season.
• Autumn will be around September to October.
• Winter is from November to February. Cool weather in this period.
Taiwan is also prone to earthquakes throughout the year. Most are tremors and barely felt.
Weather forecast for your Taiwan trip?
• Check weather from Taiwan Central Weather Bureau English pages.
• Easy steps to check Taiwan 7-day weather forecast.
• Easy steps to check Taiwan typhoon forecast and earthquake from Taiwan Central Weather Bureau.
New Taiwan Dollar and currency
The New Taiwan Dollar is the currency used in Taiwan: NT$ or TWD as abbreviations.
Currency exchange services are available at airports, major hotels, banks and department stores.
Most businesses in Taiwan do not receive traveler’s check. You may want to buy New Taiwan Dollar for your use.
Tipping in Taiwan
Tipping is not customary. Many Taiwan hotels, restaurants and other upscale establishments add a 10% service charge.
You are entitled to VAT refund for your purchases in Taiwan with these conditions:
• You hold a foreign passport;
• Purchase is NT$3,000 and above (including tax);
• Purchases made on single day at VAT-refund stores;
• You leave Taiwan within 30 days of the purchase;
Helpful telephone numbers in Taiwan
Emergency telephone numbers:
• Police: 110
• Fire, ambulance: 119
Useful telephone numbers:
• English language directory help: 106
• Chinese local directory help: 104
• Chinese long distance directory help: 105
• Overseas operator: 100
• Weather: 166
• Time: 117
• Traffic: 168
• Tourist information hotline: 02-2717-3737
Taiwan public holidays
January 1: Foundation day of the ROC.
Chinese lunar year: Lunar new year’s eve; 1st, 2nd, 3rd of the 1st month by lunar calendar
February 28: Peace memorial day.
April 5: Tomb sweeping day.
5th of the 5th month by the lunar calendar: Dragon boat festival.
15th of the 8th month by the lunar calendar: Mid-autumn festival.
October 10: Double tenth national day.
Visas for travelers to Taiwan
• 30-days visa-free for travelers from United States of America, Europe, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Korea.
• Conditioned visa-free entry to travelers from Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and India.
• Entry permits for passport-holders from Hong Kong, Macau and BNO (British National overseas). BNO passport-holders may apply for a landing visa on subsequent visits to Taiwan.
• Get more details from Taiwan National Immigration Agency.
The official language is Guoyu (Mandarin Chinese).
Min-nan the southern Min dialect, also called Holo (or Hokkien in Singapore) is also widely spoken as many Taiwanese are of southern Fujianese descent.
Taiwan electricity and voltage
Taiwan uses 110-volt electricity at 60 cycles.
You will need an adapter or transformer if you bring in appliances from Europe, Australia or South-East Asia.
Tip for your Taiwan travel: You may want to save some of these numbers into your mobile phone before your trip!